City of St. Paul Park 

on the Mississippi

Zoning Information and Verification

The City maintains zoning maps showing residential, commercial, and industrial zoning districts  The Zoning Ordinance determines which land uses are permitted in each zone.  The Zoning maps are kept in the Zoning offices at City Hall and may be purchased or viewed. 


Zoning Enforcement

The Zoning Department regularly inspects and patrols the city to investigate suspected Zoning violations. Zoning violations usually involve the operation of a use in an area that is not properly zoned for that activity.  Suspected zoning violations may be reported to the Zoning Department.

For further information pertaining to zoning enforcement or to contact the Zoning Administrator call City Hall at (651) 459-9785.


The Zoning Ordinance

The premise of zoning is that certain land uses may exist harmoniously in proximity to one another while others would be obnoxious if situated too close. It is also generally accepted that many uses have location requirements that make some areas better for certain types of uses than others.  The City has developed a number of zoning classifications, which are defined in the adopted Zoning ordinance.  Each classification or district identifies the permitted uses and conditional uses allowed therein.

The zoning ordinance contains information for citywide zoning rules by classification and regulations, overlay districts, setback, area, parking, sign, landscaping, and screening regulations. A copy of the Zoning Ordinance is available at City Hall. 

More information on zoning districts, maps and documents


Online Zoning Ordinance

Click Here to view:


Zoning Classifications

R-1  Single-family Residential
R-2  Single-and Two-Family Residential
R-3  Medium Density Residential
R-4  Southwest Area Residential
R-5  Manufactured Home Park
MU Mixed Use Zoning for Marina Area
B-1  Limited Neighborhood Business
B-2  Retail Business
B-3  Auto-Oriented Business
I-1  Limited Industrial
I-2  General Industrial
P-1  Park
P-2  Public/Semi-Public
RD  River Development
FP   Floodplain


Restrictive Covenants

In addition, some residential developments may have its own private covenants that may be more restrictive than the City's Ordinance.  Refer to your covenants for additional restrictions.  The Homeowner Association is responsible for enforcing the development's private covenants.  If you need a copy, contact Washington County Recorders Office or your homeowner association.  The following developments have private covenants:

  • Burlington View
  • Burlington View 2nd
  • Fairhaven Estates
  • Fairhaven Estates 2nd
  • River Woods
  • Riverside Park Estates
  • Stevens Ridge



 No building, land, structure or premises shall be erected or used except in the conformity with the regulations for the use districts in which they are located; provided, however, that the City Council may, in its discretion, locate its public facilities in any of the classifications established. 


Zoning Appeals

Any person who is impacted by a decision of the Zoning Administrator or other Zoning Official may file an appeal with the Planning Commission if they believe that the decision was based upon a misreading or misinterpretation of the ordinance.  Appeals may be submitted 10 business days prior to the Planning Commission meeting in letter form to the Zoning Department by visiting City Hall, mailing, faxing, or emailing. 

The Zoning Regulations provide a framework for the development or improvement of land and are based on a ideal or average set of circumstances.  Sometime conditions on a particular parcel of land may be so unusual that the application of the normal zoning regulations may produce a burden on the property owner.  The property owner has a right to request that regulations be waived or varied by some degree if they qualify for a variance. Variances may not be granted that would have the effect of allowing a use not ordinarily permitted under the ordinance. 

The Planning Commission meets to review variance requests on the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the  Council Chambers at City Hall, 600 Portland Avenue.

Applications must be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the Planning Commission Meeting.  Applications for variances are made to the Planning Commission and require completion of the Land Use Application, application fee and escrow payment.  

The Land Use Application my be obtained here or a copy from the Zoning Department by visiting City Hall, by mail or by fax.  For further information about the appeals before the Planning Commission call (651) 459-9785. 

More information about applying for Variance, CUP, IUP, or Rezoning


City of St. Paul Park, 600 Portland Avenue, St. Paul Park MN 55071